Showing 310 results

authority records

Nuno Porto

  • Person
  • [19-?] -

Nuno Porto is originally from Portugal. He was trained has a social anthropologist. He did long term fieldwork in Central Portugal in the early 1990s, studying the relationships between literacy skills acquisition and gendered cultural knowledges. The coexistence of literate and oral rationalities in rural Portugal fuelled interests in visual culture and on how religious experience is mediated by visual and material culture. The universe of visual theory and material culture studies was to become the center of his subsequent work related to museums. His PhD dissertation explored the articulation of colonialism, science, and museum culture, and how these merged in the co-development of the Dundo Museum in Northeast of Angola and of its proprietor, the Diamonds Company of Angola. This dissertation received the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation award for the Social and Human Sciences Thesis and was published by the same foundation in 2009.

Between 2006 and 2012 he integrated the Commission for the Re-opening of the Dundo Museum, led by the Ministry of Culture of Angola that successfully concluded its works in 2012. During this period he also led a team that developed and implemented the website on the archival materials of the Diamonds Company of Angola held at the University of Coimbra, He was also a member of the research team for the project ‘Bearing Waters’ led by Lisbon sculptor Virginia Fróis, on the renewal of traditional Cape Verdean women ceramics.

Between 1991 and 2011 he taught at the University of Coimbra, Portugal, on subjects related to theory in social anthropology, material culture, critical museology, visual culture, photography and African studies. His work has been published in four different languages in eight different countries. He coordinated the Graduate Program in Social and Cultural Anthropology between 2006 and 2011, and also taught in the Graduate Program on Design and Multimedia. He acted as director of the Museum of Anthropology at the University of Coimbra between 2002 and 2006, where his team developed a series of temporary exhibitions based on the notion of ethnographic installation.

In 2013 he was Invited Professor at the Post Graduate Program in Social Memory at the Federal University of the State of Rio de Janeiro - UNIRIO, in Brazil.

Porto currently serves as curator for Africa and Latin America at the University of British Columbia Museum of Anthropology.

Roland Reed

  • Person
  • June 22, 1864 – December 14, 1934

Roland W. Reed was an American artist and photographer. Born in Wisconsin, he held a variety of jobs that took him throughout the western United States - including work on railways, sawmills, and as an Associated Press photographer. It was not until the age of 43 that he devoted his time to photographing Native Americans in the western United States. This is the work that he is best known. It is typically described as being pictorialist in nature.

Hilary M. Stewart

  • Person
  • November 3, 1924 - June 5, 2014

Author and artist Hilary Majendie Stewart was born on November 3, 1924 in St. Lucia, West Indies. She attended boarding school in England and served for six years in the armed forces. She studied at St. Martin's School of Art. In 1951, she moved to Canada with her brother, where she worked as an artist for CHEK TV.

Stewart is best known for her illustrations and books on the art, artifacts, and cultures of the First Nations peoples of the Pacific Northwest. She published 11 books over the years, in addition to doing illustrations for publications by other authors. Her 1984 book Cedar received one of the first four B.C. Book Prizes that were presented in 1985. She also received a B.C. Book Prize for her 1987 book John R. Jewitt, Captive of Maquinna.

Stewart was associated with the Archaeological Society of BC for many years. She lived for many years on Quadra Island for 35 years, and later moved to Campbell River. She passed away on June 5, 2014.

President’s Planning and Coordinating Committee

  • Corporate body
  • [1971 - 1976]

The purpose of this committee, as with all other UBC Planning Coordinating Committees, was to consider all of the interests involved in the development of the new building for the Museum of Anthropology. The Committee was formed to ensure that balanced recommendations, taking into account the overall interests of the University, could be made to the President. Committee members participated in defining terms of construction, operation, and maintenance of the museum, including choosing the architect, deciding location, and securing funds for the continuing operation of the building.

The development and construction of the museum was, in part, made possible by a federal grant, Canada’s 1971 Centennial Gift to the people of British Columbia. The University’s Senate Committee on Academic Building Needs recognized the need for a new museum, linked to the department of Anthropology and Sociology. In 1971 the President’s Planning and Coordinating Committee was formed by then University President Walter Gage to assist in the planning and construction of the Museum of Man building (now known as the Museum of Anthropology, changed in March 1973), and the new facility in the Department of Anthropology and Sociology.

Dean of Arts, Douglas T. Kenny, chaired this committee. Other members included Dr. Michael Ames, Mrs. Audrey Hawthorn, and Dr. Harry Hawthorn, among others (Wilson Duff, Marjorie Halpin, Ingeborg Ruus, Audrey Shane, Gloria Webster.)

Anna Pappalardo

  • Person

Assistant Director and Department Head (Administration & Outreach), Museum of Anthropology

Karen J. Clark (Kuil)

  • Person
  • [19--]

Karen J. Clark (née Kuil) graduated with a degree in Anthropology and Archaeology and a Teaching Certification from the University of Oregon. After completing her Master's in Anthropology, she accepted a teaching position in the Catholic Residential School of Lower Post (BC, Canada), where she moved in 1964. In 1965, she was hired by the school village to teach Indigenous children from grade 1 to 8 during the week and kindergarten on Sundays. The following year, she was transferred to Cassiar (BC, CA) where she taught the primary grades. In 1966 she was hired as the first teacher at a new school in Pelly Crossing (YT, Canada) where she taught Indigenous children who barely spoke English.
In 1967 Mrs. Clark went back to Cassiar where she married Paul Clark (a mining engineer). She continued teaching in Cassiar and, in 1968, published "Johny Joe" to help Indigenous students getting more engaged with reading.
In 1969, Mrs. Clark moved to Alaska, where she graduated in 1970 with a Master's in Teaching from the University of Alaska. That same year, she was hired at the Two Rivers School (30 miles from Fairbanks, AK, US) to teach grades 1 to 4.
In 1973, Mrs. Clark was awarded Teacher of the Year by Fairbanks and the State of Alaska. That same year, Mrs. Clark and her husband returned to Cassiar, where she was hired as a reading specialist to help teachers of the school district to teach and encourage reading among Indigenous children. In 1975, she published "Sun, Moon and Owl" with a grant from the BC Teacher's Federation.
In 1976, she took a year's leave of absence to gather materials to write a book for the Tahltan children that could be incorporated into the school curriculum. With help from many Indigenous people, she gathered materials from the Telegraph Creek area, resulting in the "Tahltan Native Studies."
In 1977, Mrs. Clark moved to Alberta, where she became the program specialist for the Rockyview school District. In 1984, she published "Language Experiences with Children's Stories" and "Once Upon a Time."
In 1988, she became principal of the Exshaw School, in Exshaw (AB, Canada), where the majority of the students came from the nearby Stoney Reserve.
Mrs. Clark retired in 1989 due to health issues.

Kusakabe Kimbei (日下部金兵衛)

  • Person
  • 1841 - 1934

Born in Kōfu, Yamanashi prefecture, Japan in 1841, Kusakabe Kimbei was one of the most successful photographers in nineteenth century Japan. In the 1860s, he assisted Felix Beato, the Italian-British photographer, who was one of the first photographers to work in Asia, and also worked with the Austrian Baron Raimund von Stillfried based in Yokohoma. By 1880, Kusakabe had opened his own studio in Yokohama. After Stillfried left Japan, Kusakabe acquired some of Beato’s and Stillfried’s negatives and made prints and told them along with his own photographs.

Rev. George Stallworthy

  • Person
  • 1809-1859

Rev. George Stallworthy was an LMS (London Missionary Society) missionary born August 16, 1809, at Preston Bissett, near Buckingham, England. He studied at Homerton College and was ordained, October 3, 1833 at Ramsgate, England. Stallworthy was appointed to the Marquesas, and sailed October 27, 1833, arriving in Tahiti on March 23, 1834. On September 11, 1834, Stallworthy left Tahiti with Mr. David Darling (another missionary) to the mission on the Marquesas, arriving at St. Christina on October 6, and settling at Vaitahu. The Marquesas Mission was relinquished in 1841, and Stallworthy left those islands in December 1841, arriving in Tahiti on December 13 and going to Papaoa.

Stallworthy joined the Samoan Mission at Falealisi, Upolu in February 1844. There he married his first wife, Charlotte Burnett Wilson (b. 1817 in Tahiti), the daughter of another LMS missionary Charles Wilson. Charlotte Wilson was already suffering with tuberculosis when she and Stallworthy married, and 18 months later died of it at Upolu on August 2, 1845. She was buried in Samoa. Despite their short marriage, a son, George Burnett Stallworthy, was born in 1844. Charlotte's parents were living near the family in Falealii and raised George Burnett there until 1855, when the ten-year-old was sent back to England to go to school. He later also became a minister.

Stallworthy left Samoa in March of 1846 by the appointment of the directors in order to visit Tahiti and confer with the missionaries there on the distressing circumstances of that mission. On that trip aboard the "John Williams," he met Mary Ann Darling (b. 1819), also the daughter of an LMS missionary. He returned to Samoa at the end of August 1846, and married Mary Ann in Apia, Samoa on October 13, 1847.

As part of a deputation in 1858, Mr. Stallworthy visited the New Hebrides, Loyalty Islands, and Niue, and later Fakaofo, one of the Tokelau group. In January, 1859, Stallworthy moved to Malua to take the place of Dr. George Turner in the seminary there during Turner's absence in England. Stallworthy died at Malua in November 1859, leaving his wife with eight children (along with his first son in England). The family caught the "John Williams" back to Tahiti, later leaving for Sydney in 1860. During this journey, three of the children died of diphtheria (William, Louisa, and Sarah Ann) and were buried on Raiatea. Mary Ann and the remaining children carried on to Sydney, where eventually their health improved, and they carried on to England. Mary Ann (Darling) Stallworthy died in England in 1872.

A descendant, John J. Lewis, wrote a now out-of-print book about Stallworthy's mission called “Wind in the Palms- Mission in the SW Pacific 1817-72- David Darling- George Stallworthy." This book is available in the Museum of Anthropology's library.

Kajima Seibei (鹿島 清兵衛)

  • Person
  • 1866 - 1924

Kajima Seibei came from a wealthy business family. Kajima travelled around Japan in the late 1880s and early 1890s, and produced many photographic works that he distributed through various studios. As one of the founding members of the Photographic Society of Japan, he helped finance Ogawa Kazumasa, another important photographer from this period. In 1895, he opened a photo studio in Tokyo.

Josephine Gladstone

  • Person
  • ca. 1869 - 1932

Josephine Gladstone (nee Wilson) was born ca. 1869. She married Charlie Gladstone on February 4, 1892. They had three children: Magaret Janet (ca. 1892), Sophia (1895), and Edgar (1897). She died in Skidegate on March 12, 1932 at 63.

Tom Price

  • Person
  • 1860-1927

Tom price was born on Anthony Island. He was known to have been chief of Ninstints. His work was known to have been collected by Dr. C.F. Newcombe and Mr. Lansberg. He often used whale and fish designs and often inlaid bone, ivory, and shell into his work. He died in Prince Rupert at an estimated age of 66. For further information on his life and work please see the Masters' thesis by Trisha Corliss Glatthaar at

Charles William John Eliot

  • Person
  • December 8, 1928 - May 20, 2008

Born in 1928 in Rawalpindi, Pakistan, C.W.J. Eliot was the UBC Department of Classics' first professional archaeologist. He studied Classics at the University of Toronto, eventually seeing his dissertation published in 1962. He also studied at the American School of Classical Studies in Athens. He began teaching at UBC in 1957 and stayed on until 1971 when he left for the American School of Classical studies at Athens to become professor of Archaeology there. He later served as President and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Prince Edward Island.He was a member of the Order of Canada and was posthumously recognized as the founder of the University of Prince Edward Island.

Charles Sidney Leary

  • March 4, 1883 - 1950

Charles Sidney Leary (often referred to as Sid Leary) was born in England and moved overseas in 1907, eventually settling in Nakusp, British Columbia. He began working in the lumber industry and eventually came to own a mill. He served as an officer in the first World War, eventually rising to the rank of Captain. He was posted to Cyprus for timber operations in 1917 and it was there that he began to collect ancient artifacts. On returning to Canada, Leary continued to work in the timber industry. He later served as an MLA in the British Columbia Legislature, including two years as the Minister of Public Works. His collection of antiquities acquired in Cyprus was eventually shipped to Canada. After his death in 1950, his family donated his collection to the Museum of Anthropology at the University of British Columbia.

Ronnie Tessler

  • Person
  • 1944-

Ronnie Evelyn Tessler was born in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan in 1944 and has resided in Vancouver, B.C. since 1968. She attended the University of Manitoba, the Manitoba Institute of Technology, the Emily Carr College of Art and Design, the University of Victoria, and Simon Fraser University, where she received a Masters of Arts in Liberal Studies in 2006. Tessler became a documentary photographer in 1973, working on various photographic projects and exhibiting her work in Canada and the United States until 1990. Her artwork resides in a number of public collections, including the National Archives of Canada, the Canada Council Art Bank, and the Canadian Museum of Contemporary Photography. In 1990, Tessler became the first executive director of the Vancouver Holocaust Education Centre, and was instrumental in its development into a fully-staffed facility with a museum, archives, and education and resource centre. Since 1996, she has worked as an independent project consultant and editor for cultural arts groups in B.C.

Results 41 to 60 of 310