One of a pair purchased in 1947 from collectors Marius Barbeau and Arthur Price. Collected from Alert Bay. The piece was repainted and repaired (including the replacement of the wings) by Ellen Neel (1949) and by Mungo Martin (1950-51).
Carved by Charlie James c. 1900 (Fort Rupert). Collected by Marius Barbeau and Arthur Price. The pole was re-adzed and re-painted by Kwakwaka'wakw carver Mungo Martin before shipping in 1947. Repainted and repaired by Ellen Neel (1949) and by Mungo Martin (1950-51). It stood at Totem Pole Park, UBC Campus until it was re-located to the Museum's Great Hall c. 1976.