Image of a house frontal pole. The pole was carved at the University of British Columbia for display in Totem Park, where it is located in this image. It was moved to the new Museum of Anthropology grounds in 1978. Bill Reid based the design of the pole on older poles from Ninstints.
Image of a pole carved as the frontal pole for the front of the Haida house, at UBC, for display in Totem Park. Moved to the new Museum of Anthropology grounds in 1978. Pole was removed from the Haida House in 2000-09 and placed in a greenhouse tent for conservation treatment and drying. A new pole was raised outside to replace it (see MOA object Nb1.752). Jim Hart, with Reg Davidson, Michael Nicoll and Tyler Crosby, performed a small informal ceremony for the re-raising of the pole on Oct. 30, 2002 (with Martine Reid in attendance). Pole was then re-raised in the Great Hall of the Museum on Oct. 31, 2002.
Image of memorial pole when it stood at UBC's Totem Park. The pole is now part of MOA's collection.
The pole was carved at UBC for display in Totem Park. Moved to the new Museum of Anthropology grounds in 1978. This pole is based on the beaver pole standing at the north end of Skidegate. The raven figure was removed from the top of the pole in Sept. 2005 due to its poor condition and safety concerns .
Image of a totem pole in Kitsegukla (Gitsegukla?), BC. This same pole is pictured on page 125 of Carter's book Abundant Rivers, with the caption: "This very old pole carved with a human figure and birds is a striking land mark in the village of Kitsegukla."
Image of a totem pole in Gitsegukla owned by Gary Hill Sr. of the house of Wiiseks/Wiigyet. The pole was cut down and as of March 2019 there are plans to make another one.
This pole is shown on page 127 of Carter's book Abundant Rivers, with the inaccurate caption: "This well-carved pole belongs to Mr. Russell, one of the councillors at Kitsegukla. The predominant long-billed bird is a mythical figure called 'Weneel.'"
The pole was re-adzed and re-painted by Kwakwaka'wakw carver Mungo Martin before shipping to UBC in 1947. Repainted and repaired by Ellen Neel (1949) and by Mungo Martin (1950-51). It stood at Totem Pole Park, UBC Campus until it was re-located to the Museum's Great Hall ca. 1976.