Image of the houseposts and beam of what once was a longhouse in Quatsino, BC, on the north end of Vancouver Island. These posts appear to be the same as posts now houses at the Museum of Anthropology (museum item number A50009 a-c). The poles are described on the museum's webiste: "Two upright posts and crossbeam that were part of a large interior house frame (also see records d-f and g-h). The uprights depict sea lions carved in high relief and painted (parts a-b). Their heads are equal size to their bodies. Both part a and b have an eagle in profile within the sea lions front flippers. Part a has a top portion of a face painted on the back of its head that is part of a sisiutl that runs down the seal lions back and into its hind flipper with a serpent's head in each. The cross-beam (part c) is painted and carved as a supernatural double-headed sea lion. All parts are painted black and white with Northwest Coast stylized forms... The Klix'ken (sea lion) House was commissioned by Tza'kyius around 1906, and was the last old style house erected in Xwatis. The beams and figures stood as part of a house frame, and acted as structural supports. Figures represented on house frames were supernatural beings which the family living in the house had the right, through their history and origins, to represent."
Image of a totem pole on Anthony Island, Haida Gwaii. This appears to be a pole now housed at the Museum of Anthropology (museum item #A50018). This museum item is described as follows: "Base section of a wooden pole, crescent-shaped in cross section and carved in shallow and deep relief. From the top down: a large seated bear with a small wolf between and in its ears and a downward facing frog emerging from the bear’s mouth. In between its arms and legs is a downward facing wolf... Stood outside at the center of the Mountain House, which belonged to the lineage of 'Those Born in the Southern Part of the Islands' of the Eagle Moiety of the Kunghit Haida. Stood near the centre of the village facing the beach along a small bay on the east side of Anthony Island. Island and village also called Skunggwai, or Red Cod Island."
File consists of images of Alert Bay, BC and the raising of a memorial pole for Mungo Martin in 1970. Based on annotations on the slides, they were likely taken by Marjorie Halpin, who was a curator at the Museum of Anthropology.
Image depicts canoes, house, house posts, and totem poles on a shoreline in Masset, Haida Gwaii, B. C. Handwritten inscription on the verso reads "This is a Indian Village in Masset B. C. at the turn of the century. As you can see there are a lot of wooden shacks, totem poles and canoes. it is a very wild and remote area [redacted]. grandfather Crosby used to travel to these remoat [sic] villages by canoe." Image appears to be reproduction of a039351.
Image depicts canoes, house, house posts, and totem poles on a shoreline in Masset, Haida Gwaii, B. C. Printed around the border of the image is the photographer information "PHOTOGRAPHED BY R. MAYNARD, VICTORIA, . . . B. C." Handwritten inscription on the border reads "Massett [sic] Village Q. Ch. Is." Printed on the verso is the photographer information with the inscription "R. Maynard, Photographic Artist, AND DEALER IN ALL KINDS OF PHOTOGRAPHIC MATERIALS, COR. OF DOUGLAS AND JOHNSON STS., VICTORIA, B. C. -- Views of British Columbia and Vancouver Island for Sale." A handwritten inscription reads "Indian Totems Queen Charlotte's Island".
Image of two old house posts on Hope Island, BC. The post on the right appears to be the same as a post now housed at the Museum of Anthropology, that was collected from Hope Island in 1956. Both posts feature a human figure with large eyes. On one post, the figure is holding a small face near its waist. On the other post, the figure is holding what appears to be an animal of some kind. The Museum of Anthropology's website provides the following description of the posts: "The posts of the unfinished house of Ha'm'cit were carved by a man from Smith Inlet called Si.wit who moved to Xu'mtaspi and married Tom Omhyid's mother. Ha'm'cit died before the house was finished. (Information provided to Prof. Wilson Duff by Mungo Martin). The artist's potlatch name was P'aczsmaxw. Wayne Suttles places the Xu'mtaspi village as Nahwitti, in historic times, however it was occupied jointly by the Nahwitti, the Yalhinuxw, and the Noqemqilisala (of Hanson Lagoon)."
Fonds consists of 45 glass-plate lantern slides featuring scenes from Osterhout's work with B.C. First Nations, including Haida, Tsimshian and Kwakwaka'wakw. Images document First Nations individuals, communities, totem poles and landscapes of British Columbia.
Item is an audio recording of an interview by Wilson Duff with Jonathan Johnson about the geography of the Gitxsan village of Kispiox and surrounding region. According to Tribal Boundaries in the Nass Watershed by Neil J. Stewart (MOA Reading Room, call number 12.7c GIT STE), Jonathan Johnson (1902-1968) of Kispiox was from the House of Xhliimlaxha and had knowledge of territories in the Nass watershed, including his father’s territory at Gwinhagiistxw. In interviews that took place on July 6 and 7, 1965, Duff gathered information about house territories in the Nass and Skeena watersheds to produce a map showing territories and numbered sites at Kispiox, see the Wilson Duff fonds at MOA, Box/File# Mc15, File# 10-B-21.
Item is an image of two totem poles by two buildings. According to annotations, photograph is of the house of Chief Albert Edward Edenshaw, G?aw (also known as Old Massett) in the Haida Gwaii archipielago.
Item is an image of a group of people sitting for the photograph. Other people, buildings, and totem poles are visible in the background. According to annotations, photograph was taken in G?aw (also known as Old Massett) in the Haida Gwaii archipielago
Item is an image of a woman walking away from the camera with three buildings and a totem pole in the background. According to annotations, photograph was taken in G?aw (also known as Old Massett) in the Haida Gwaii archipielago
An image of an aerial view of the Kyuquot village. According to the documentation included with the filmstrip, the description of the image states "Kyuquot from the air. You can see Walter's Island and out into the Pacific Ocean. The next Island to the right is Aktis Island, the ancestral home of the Kyuquot Band. In the early 1800's the Kyuquot Band was the largest on the West Coast of Vancouver Island. However one night in 1855 the Clayoquots, enemies to the Kyoquots, surprised the Kyuquot Village on Atkis Isl., cut off the heads of the Kyuquot warriers, took the women as slaves, and set fire to the village. Most of the village was destroyed during this, the last tribal war fought on the West Coast of Vancouver Island. A few years ago most of the Kyuquot Band left Atkis Island and moved into Walter's Cove."