Print preview Close

Showing 3002 results

archivistische beschrijving
Canada Stuk
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

2755 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

People at Bompas Grave in Carcross

Item is a hand-tinted glass lantern slide of nineteen people (adults and children) taking flowers to a grave. Based on the rest of the collection and general aspect, photograph might have been taken in Carcross, Yukon and the grave might be of Bishop Bompas, first Bishop of Selkirk (later Yukon) who died in 1906. Bishop Bompas founded the ChoutlaResidential School. Item is similar to item no. 620, fonds 008 Missionary Society of the Church of England in Canada (MSCC) fonds, from the Anglican Church of Canada General Synod Archives.

St. Saviour's Anglican Church in Carcross

Item is a hand-tinted glass lantern slide of a church. Based on the rest of the collection and general aspect, photograph might have been taken in Carcross, Yukon and the church might be the St. Saviour's Anglican church. Item is similar to item no. P 166, fonds 365 Henry Hooper Marsh family fonds, from the Anglican Church of Canada General Synod Archives.

Choutla Residential School

Item is a hand-tinted glass lantern slide of landscape with a the Choutla Residential School, Carcross, Yukon. Item is a duplicated of item no. 875, fonds 008 Missionary Society of the Church of England in Canada (MSCC) fonds, from the Anglican Church of Canada General Synod Archives. In 1903 students from the school at Forty Mile, Yukon, were moved to a small school in Carcross. In 1911 the federal government built the Choutla school. The school had a reputation for poor health, harsh discipline, poor food, and unpleasant living quarters. In the 1940s, the principal admitted to strapping students so severely that they had to be held down. The school burned down in 1939 and was rebuilt in 1944. A new school was built in 1953. It closed in 1969. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)

Shingwauk Residential School

Item is a hand-tinted glass lantern slide of a winter view of the main school building in Shingwauk Residential School, Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. The Shingwauk school opened in 1873 in Garden River, ON, burning down within days of opening. It was replaced two years later with a school built near Sault Ste. Marie. In 1931 the school was condemned. A new school opened in 1935, at which time the school merged with the Wawanosh girls’ school. In the 1950s Shingwauk students began attending local day schools. In 1969 the federal government took over the administration of the school, closing it the following year. The former school is home to Algoma University College and the Shingwauk Project Residential School Archive and Research Centre. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation). Item is a duplicated of item no. 1030, fonds 008 Missionary Society of the Church of England in Canada (MSCC) fonds, from the Anglican Church of Canada General Synod Archives.

Resultaten 1 tot 20 van 3002