Print preview Close

Showing 726 results

archivistische beschrijving
British Columbia Cultural groups Engels
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

558 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Ravens and Robins With Shields Won in Intramural Competition at St. Michael's Residential School

Item is a hand-tinted glass lantern slide of twenty children and one adult holding house pennants with the names "Robins" and "Ravens" and shields in front of a building. Item is a duplicated of item no. S7-60, fonds 008 Missionary Society of the Church of England in Canada (MSCC) fonds, from the Anglican Church of Canada General Synod Archives. According to description from the Anglican Church of Canada General Synod Archives, Ravens (senior girls) and Robins (junior girls) pose with the shields won in intramural competition. The Anglican Church established a day school at its mission in Alert Bay, British Columbia in 1878. It opened a small boarding school there in 1882 and an industrial school in 1894. In 1929, a new building was constructed. The school was known for the arts and crafts produced by the students and the two large totem poles in front of the school building. In 1947, two-dozen children ran away from the school. The subsequent investigation into conditions at the school led to the resignation of both the principal and the vice-principal. By 1969, when the federal government assumed administration of the school, all residents were attending local schools. The residence closed in 1974. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)

Children Playing at St. Michael's Residential School

Item is a hand-tinted glass lantern slide of five children in playing attitude with the sea in the background. Based on the original order of the collection, photograph might have been taken in Alert Bay and the children might have been students at St. Michael's Residential School. The Anglican Church established a day school at its mission in Alert Bay, British Columbia in 1878. It opened a small boarding school there in 1882 and an industrial school in 1894. In 1929, a new building was constructed. The school was known for the arts and crafts produced by the students and the two large totem poles in front of the school building. In 1947, two-dozen children ran away from the school. The subsequent investigation into conditions at the school led to the resignation of both the principal and the vice-principal. By 1969, when the federal government assumed administration of the school, all residents were attending local schools. The residence closed in 1974. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)

(Replicas)?, mortuary poles (Haida), dwelling house and sea wolf, Totem Park, UBC, Vancouver

MOA Object ID numbers correspond to poles in the image from left to right.

A50030 carved by Bill Reid and Doug Cranmer (1961-62) as the frontal pole for the front of the Haida house, at the University of British Columbia, for display in Totem Park. Moved to the new Museum of Anthropology grounds in 1978. Pole was removed from the Haida House in 2000-09 and placed in a greenhouse tent for conservation treatment and drying. Pole was then re-raised in the Great Hall of the Museum on Oct. 31, 2002.

Resultaten 1 tot 20 van 726