Print preview Close

Showing 460 results

Archival description
British Columbia Item Cultural groups Image
Advanced search options
Print preview View:

460 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Out of the Silence

Image of 2 of the 4 weavings that comprise Out of the Silence on display at the Vancouver International Airport. The weavings were made by Musqueam artists Krista Point, Robyn Sparrow, Debra Sparrow, Gina Grant and Helen Callbreath.

The Pacific Passage

Image depicts the exhibition The Pacific Passage installed at the Vancouver International Airport. The focal point of the photograph is Hetux, a large Thunderbird sculpture created by artist Connie Watts (Nuu-chah-nulth, Gitxsan and Kwakwaka'wakw).

Totem Park, UBC, Vancouver, Kwakiutl (#2 + 5 carved by Mungo Martin), Alert Bay sea lion pole #2, new Mungo Martin pole #5, frontal pole #6, eagle crest pole #7

This pole was on display at UBC in Totem Park in the 1960’s and 1970’s and moved to the Museum in the late 1970’s. It was carved in 1914 in Tsaxis (Fort Rupert) by George Hunt Sr. for the Edward S. Curtis film "In the Land of the War Canoes" which was originally titled "In the Land of the Head Hunters". The pole was collected by Marius Barbeau and Arthur Price in 1947. The pole was repaired and re-painted by carvers Ellen Neel in 1949 and Mungo Martin in 1950-51. It stood at Totem Park, UBC Campus until it was re-located to the Museum's Great Hall in 1976.

Iconography: Kolus is a young thunderbird. Thunderbird is a supernatural bird identifiable by the presence of ear-like projections or horns on the head, and a re-curved beak. The pole alludes to the story of Tongas people in south Alaska, who migrated south.

Kwakiutl, raven totem pole #3, Totem Park, UBC, Vancouver

Carved by Charlie James c. 1900 (Fort Rupert). Collected by Marius Barbeau and Arthur Price. The pole was re-adzed and re-painted by Kwakwaka'wakw carver Mungo Martin before shipping in 1947. Repainted and repaired by Ellen Neel (1949) and by Mungo Martin (1950-51). It stood at Totem Pole Park, UBC Campus until it was re-located to the Museum's Great Hall c. 1976.

Results 1 to 20 of 460