Showing 709 results

archivistische beschrijving
British Columbia First Nations Engels
Print preview View:

542 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Ravens and Robins With Shields Won in Intramural Competition at St. Michael's Residential School

Item is a hand-tinted glass lantern slide of twenty children and one adult holding house pennants with the names "Robins" and "Ravens" and shields in front of a building. Item is a duplicated of item no. S7-60, fonds 008 Missionary Society of the Church of England in Canada (MSCC) fonds, from the Anglican Church of Canada General Synod Archives. According to description from the Anglican Church of Canada General Synod Archives, Ravens (senior girls) and Robins (junior girls) pose with the shields won in intramural competition. The Anglican Church established a day school at its mission in Alert Bay, British Columbia in 1878. It opened a small boarding school there in 1882 and an industrial school in 1894. In 1929, a new building was constructed. The school was known for the arts and crafts produced by the students and the two large totem poles in front of the school building. In 1947, two-dozen children ran away from the school. The subsequent investigation into conditions at the school led to the resignation of both the principal and the vice-principal. By 1969, when the federal government assumed administration of the school, all residents were attending local schools. The residence closed in 1974. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)

Children Playing at St. Michael's Residential School

Item is a hand-tinted glass lantern slide of five children in playing attitude with the sea in the background. Based on the original order of the collection, photograph might have been taken in Alert Bay and the children might have been students at St. Michael's Residential School. The Anglican Church established a day school at its mission in Alert Bay, British Columbia in 1878. It opened a small boarding school there in 1882 and an industrial school in 1894. In 1929, a new building was constructed. The school was known for the arts and crafts produced by the students and the two large totem poles in front of the school building. In 1947, two-dozen children ran away from the school. The subsequent investigation into conditions at the school led to the resignation of both the principal and the vice-principal. By 1969, when the federal government assumed administration of the school, all residents were attending local schools. The residence closed in 1974. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)

Missionary Society of the Church of England in Canada Slide Collection

  • 149
  • Collectie
  • ([192-] - [195-])

Collection consists of 48 glass lantern slides (29 of them tinted) and 2 negatives. The lantern slides include images related to four Residential Schools: Elkhorn (Manitoba), St. Michael’s (British Columbia), Shingwauk (Ontario), and Choutla (Yukon).

Collection includes images of the schools, classrooms, and different areas of the buildings (dining room, kitchen, etc.); the staff, students, and families engaged in different activities; and surroundings of the schools (cemeteries, churches, villages, etc.). Collection also includes images of landscapes and two images unidentified villages.

Collection might be similar to the Missionary Society of the Church of England in Canada fonds, at the Anglican Church of Canada Diocese of Rupert's Land, Manitoba.

Lantern slides shows were used during the 1920s and 1930s by the Church of England in Canada to promote the work of their missionaries and to raise funds. The slide shows took place during missionaries’ services, church services, Sunday school groups, and special church programs. Usually, the slide shows were complemented with a text with basic commentary on the mission and content of the slides.

Missionary Society of the Church of England in Canada

History of Copper (20 coppers from Alert Bay), GW(?) Hunt, 1924

Photocopy of a manuscript about coppers from Alert Bay, BC. Front page notes that it was "sent by GW(?) Hunt, Port Hardy, BC." It also has a stamp from the "Department of Mines geological Survey, received Mar 26, 1924. Division of Anthropology."

Original manuscript might be at UBC's Rare Books and Special Collections library.

G?aw

Item is an image of a coastal village, taken from the sea. According to annotations, photograph is of G?aw (also known as Old Massett) in the Haida Gwaii archipielago taken from the Ship Islander.

G?aw

Item is an image of several buildings and totem posts. According to annotations, photograph was taken in G?aw (also known as Old Massett) in the Haida Gwaii archipielago.

People in G?aw

Item is an image of a group of people sitting for the photograph. Other people, buildings, and totem poles are visible in the background. According to annotations, photograph was taken in G?aw (also known as Old Massett) in the Haida Gwaii archipielago

Woman in G?aw

Item is an image of a woman walking away from the camera with three buildings and a totem pole in the background. According to annotations, photograph was taken in G?aw (also known as Old Massett) in the Haida Gwaii archipielago

Woman in G?aw

Item is an image of a woman by a building. According to annotations, photograph was taken in G?aw (also known as Old Massett) in the Haida Gwaii archipielago

Graveyard Alert Bay

Item is an image of several artworks. According to annotations, photograph was taken in Alert Bay's graveyard.

Bridge, Skeena? River

Item is an image of a bridge over a river. According to annotations, the bridge was made by the indigenous peoples in the area and the location may be the Skeena River.

Resultaten 1 tot 20 van 709