This pole was on display at UBC in Totem Park in the 1960’s and 1970’s and moved to the Museum in the late 1970’s. It was carved in 1914 in Tsaxis (Fort Rupert) by George Hunt Sr. for the Edward S. Curtis film "In the Land of the War Canoes" which was originally titled "In the Land of the Head Hunters". The pole was collected by Marius Barbeau and Arthur Price in 1947. The pole was repaired and re-painted by carvers Ellen Neel in 1949 and Mungo Martin in 1950-51. It stood at Totem Park, UBC Campus until it was re-located to the Museum's Great Hall in 1976.
Iconography: Kolus is a young thunderbird. Thunderbird is a supernatural bird identifiable by the presence of ear-like projections or horns on the head, and a re-curved beak. The pole alludes to the story of Tongas people in south Alaska, who migrated south.
MOA Object ID numbers correspond to poles in the image from left to right.
A50030 carved by Bill Reid and Doug Cranmer (1961-62) as the frontal pole for the front of the Haida house, at the University of British Columbia, for display in Totem Park. Moved to the new Museum of Anthropology grounds in 1978. Pole was removed from the Haida House in 2000-09 and placed in a greenhouse tent for conservation treatment and drying. Pole was then re-raised in the Great Hall of the Museum on Oct. 31, 2002.
One of a pair purchased in 1947 from collectors Marius Barbeau and Arthur Price. Collected from Alert Bay. The piece was repainted and repaired (including the replacement of the wings) by Ellen Neel (1949) and by Mungo Martin (1950-51).
Carved by Charlie James c. 1900 (Fort Rupert). Collected by Marius Barbeau and Arthur Price. The pole was re-adzed and re-painted by Kwakwaka'wakw carver Mungo Martin before shipping in 1947. Repainted and repaired by Ellen Neel (1949) and by Mungo Martin (1950-51). It stood at Totem Pole Park, UBC Campus until it was re-located to the Museum's Great Hall c. 1976.