Manitoba

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Manitoba

BT Canada

Manitoba

Equivalent terms

Manitoba

Associated terms

Manitoba

88 Archival description results for Manitoba

59 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

A Camp on the Hayes River

Item is an image of a camp with a tent in the background and an open tent in the foreground. According to annotations, photograph was taken on the Hayes River between York Factory and Norway House, Manitoba

Anglican Minister

Item is a glass lantern slide of a minister by the entrance of a church. Based on the original order of the collection, photograph might have been taken at Elkhorn (Washakada) Residential School. The Elkhorn Residential School started as the Washakada Home for Girls and the Kasota Home for Boys were established in the village of Elkhorn, MB in 1888. Following a fire, the school was rebuilt outside the town in 1895. Ongoing financial problems led to a government takeover of the school. It was closed in 1918 but reopened in 1923, under the administration of the Anglican Church’s Missionary Society. Many students came from northern Manitoba. The leaders of The Pas Indian Band made a number of complaints about the conditions at the school, which was eventually closed in 1949. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)

Bakery Matron and Workers at Elkhorn Residential School

Item is a glass lantern slide of three women in a bakery at Elkhorn Residential School. Two of the women are holding baked goods and the third is pushing a cart with baked goods. Item is a duplicated of item no. 04, fonds 301 The Provincial and Diocesan Synods of the Anglican Church of Canada collection, from the Anglican Church of Canada General Synod Archives. The Elkhorn Residential School started as the Washakada Home for Girls and the Kasota Home for Boys were established in the village of Elkhorn, MB in 1888. Following a fire, the school was rebuilt outside the town in 1895. Ongoing financial problems led to a government takeover of the school. It was closed in 1918 but reopened in 1923, under the administration of the Anglican Church’s Missionary Society. Many students came from northern Manitoba. The leaders of The Pas Indian Band made a number of complaints about the conditions at the school, which was eventually closed in 1949. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)

Bead and Silk Work

Item is a close up image of beaded silk, fur, and leather works. According to annotations, items were made by the Indigenous community in York Factory (likely of Cree or Métis Nation).

Boats at Shore on the Hayes River

Item is an image of two boats and some people at a shore. According to annotations, photograph was taken on the Hayes River between York Factory and Norway House, Manitoba

Camp in Kuugjuaq

Item is an image of a tent by the water with a dog by it. According to annotations, photograph was taken at Kuugjuaq (also known as Churchill, Manitoba)

Camp in Kuugjuaq

Item is an image of a camp with two tents and two people standing by them. According to annotations, photograph was taken in Kuugjuaq (also known as Churchill, Manitoba)

Children in Class at Elkhorn Residential School

Item is a glass lantern slide of a group of children in a classroom. Twenty nine children are visible, four of them standing, the rest sitting down. Based on the original order of the collection, photograph might have been taken at Elkhorn (Washakada) Residential School. The Elkhorn Residential School started as the Washakada Home for Girls and the Kasota Home for Boys were established in the village of Elkhorn, MB in 1888. Following a fire, the school was rebuilt outside the town in 1895. Ongoing financial problems led to a government takeover of the school. It was closed in 1918 but reopened in 1923, under the administration of the Anglican Church’s Missionary Society. Many students came from northern Manitoba. The leaders of The Pas Indian Band made a number of complaints about the conditions at the school, which was eventually closed in 1949. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)

Children in Class at Elkhorn Residential School

Item is a glass lantern slide of a group of children in a classroom. The lesson seems to be on sewing with nine older children and one teacher or supervisor. Based on the original order of the collection, photograph might have been taken at Elkhorn Residential School. The Elkhorn Residential School started as the Washakada Home for Girls and the Kasota Home for Boys were established in the village of Elkhorn, MB in 1888. Following a fire, the school was rebuilt outside the town in 1895. Ongoing financial problems led to a government takeover of the school. It was closed in 1918 but reopened in 1923, under the administration of the Anglican Church’s Missionary Society. Many students came from northern Manitoba. The leaders of The Pas Indian Band made a number of complaints about the conditions at the school, which was eventually closed in 1949. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)

Children in Class at Elkhorn Residential School

Item is a glass lantern slide of a group of children in a classroom. Twenty six children are visible, ten of them standing, the rest sitting down. The blackboard has what it seems to be linguistic and mathematical lessons written on it. Based on the original order of the collection, photograph might have been taken at Elkhorn (Washakada) Residential School. The Elkhorn Residential School started as the Washakada Home for Girls and the Kasota Home for Boys were established in the village of Elkhorn, MB in 1888. Following a fire, the school was rebuilt outside the town in 1895. Ongoing financial problems led to a government takeover of the school. It was closed in 1918 but reopened in 1923, under the administration of the Anglican Church’s Missionary Society. Many students came from northern Manitoba. The leaders of The Pas Indian Band made a number of complaints about the conditions at the school, which was eventually closed in 1949. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)

Children in Winter Clothes at Elkhorn Residential School

Item is a glass lantern slide of twenty one children in Winter clothes by a building. Based on the original order of the collection, photograph might have been taken at Elkhorn (Washakada) Residential School. The Elkhorn Residential School started as the Washakada Home for Girls and the Kasota Home for Boys were established in the village of Elkhorn, MB in 1888. Following a fire, the school was rebuilt outside the town in 1895. Ongoing financial problems led to a government takeover of the school. It was closed in 1918 but reopened in 1923, under the administration of the Anglican Church’s Missionary Society. Many students came from northern Manitoba. The leaders of The Pas Indian Band made a number of complaints about the conditions at the school, which was eventually closed in 1949. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)

Church, York Factory

Item is an image of a church. According to annotations, church belonged to the indigenous community in the area (probably from the Cree First Nation or Metis) and photograph was taken at York Factory, Manitoba

Coast Boats Leaving York Wharf

Item is an image of four boats leaving a wharf and six people on said wharf. According to annotations, photograph was taken near York Factory, Manitoba

Dining Room Decorated for Christmas Celebrations at Elkhorn Residential School

Item is a glass lantern slide of a room with Christmas decorations. Room seems to be the same as the one described as the dining room at Elkhorn Residential School, item no. 897 fonds 008 Missionary Society of the Church of England in Canada (MSCC) fonds, from the Anglican Church of Canada General Synod Archives. The Elkhorn Residential School started as the Washakada Home for Girls and the Kasota Home for Boys were established in the village of Elkhorn, MB in 1888. Following a fire, the school was rebuilt outside the town in 1895. Ongoing financial problems led to a government takeover of the school. It was closed in 1918 but reopened in 1923, under the administration of the Anglican Church’s Missionary Society. Many students came from northern Manitoba. The leaders of The Pas Indian Band made a number of complaints about the conditions at the school, which was eventually closed in 1949. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)

Dispensary Cabinet at Elkhorn Residential School

Item is a glass lantern slide of a dispensary cabinet. Based on the original order of the collection, photograph might have been taken at Elkhorn (Washakada) Residential School. The Elkhorn Residential School started as the Washakada Home for Girls and the Kasota Home for Boys were established in the village of Elkhorn, MB in 1888. Following a fire, the school was rebuilt outside the town in 1895. Ongoing financial problems led to a government takeover of the school. It was closed in 1918 but reopened in 1923, under the administration of the Anglican Church’s Missionary Society. Many students came from northern Manitoba. The leaders of The Pas Indian Band made a number of complaints about the conditions at the school, which was eventually closed in 1949. (National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation)

Results 1 to 20 of 88