Title and statement of responsibility area
Audrey Hawthorn (MOA Curator) fonds
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on provenance of fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1941-1991, predominant 1947-1978 (Creation)
- Audrey Hawthorn
Physical description area
6.03 m of textual records and graphic materials
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Audrey Hawthorn was born November 25, 1917 in California. She was raised in New York City, and obtained a BA in 1939 at New College of Columbia University. Her thesis entitled "A curriculum for community studies in Habersham County Georgia", was completed under the supervision of Dr. Morris R. Mitchell, Professor, Community Planning. During 1939-1941 Audrey Hawthorn finished a thesis entitled "Socio Economic Appeals in Mass and Class Media", and was granted an M.A. degree. She also attended Yale Graduate School in Anthropology from 1940-1941. In 1941, Audrey and her husband, Dr. Harry Hawthorn, were given a joint fellowship in Latin American studies for coordinating the office of American Affairs and the Institute of Human Relations, Yale. Audrey Hawthorn was also a psychiatric case worker with the Family Services Agency in Yonkers, New York, in 1946 and 1947. Audrey came to the University of British Columbia in 1947 with her husband, who was appointed UBC's first anthropologist. She was appointed to the position of Honourary Curator. Audrey Hawthorn, a specialist in primitive art, was granted a regular appointment as curator in 1956. She was the first person, and the University of British Columbia the first institution in Canada, to begin the formal training of professional museum staff. From 1948 students from the Department of Anthropology voluntarily completed most of the work in the museum. By 1955, non-credit courses were offered to these students in order that they could actively pursue museum careers. In 1963, a credit course, Anthropology 331, Primitive Art, was added to the curriculum and in 1965 Anthropology 431, Museum Principles and Methods. For a number of years, these two courses were the only ones of their nature in Canada. Students were able to learn a great deal about the day-to-day operation of a museum by working with staff to complete a wide variety of activities. In recognition of her teaching responsibilities, Audrey Hawthorn was appointed Assistant Professor in 1966 and Associate Professor in 1971. Her most important publications are a study of Indian Arts and Crafts, commissioned by the Royal Commission on Arts, Letters and Sciences in 1951; "People of the Potlatch, the Art of the Kwakiutl Indians" and "A Labour of Love" (a history of the Museum of Anthropology). Due to deteriorating health, Audrey discontinued her museum duties in 1977. She formally retired in 1985. Audrey Hawthorn was awarded an honourary LL.D from the University of Brandon in May of 1984; received the Order of Canada in April of 1986; and an Honourary LL.D from UBC in 1986. Audrey Hawthorn died on November 18, 2000.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records generated by Audrey Hawthorn in her positions as curator of the Museum of Anthropology.
The fonds is arranged into ten series:
1 - General
2 - Finances
3 - Human Resources
4 - Facilities and Services
5 - Collections
6 - Exhibitions
7 - Public Programmes
8 - School Programmes
9 - Teaching/Training/Research
10 - External Relations
These series are further divided into various subseries. The records include, but are not limited to, correspondence between Audrey Hawthorn and a variety of donors, scholars, and other parties associated with the museum; materials documenting collections acquisitions and loans; and records relating to visible storage, and the planning and development of the new museum building. There is extensive documentation concerning the acquisition, development and maintenance of the museum collections. The fonds also includes records of Harry Hawthorn, who formally held the position of Director of the museum, during much of his wife’s tenure as Curator, though often it was Audrey Hawthorn who took on the responsibilities of the directorship. Records in this fonds take the form of correspondence, memoranda, ephemera, newspaper clippings, photographs, sketches, plans slides financial documents, schedules, notes, and forms.
See attached pdf document for full finding aid and box/file list.
Immediate source of acquisition
The records were transferred to the MOA Archives in 1980 from the office of Audrey Hawthorn. This was accomplished by Marjorie Halpin, who took over the office at that time. The records remained untouched for eleven years prior to their description.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Access to some files may be restricted due to Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FIPPA) legislation. Please consult archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Finding Aid descriptions were updated in October 2013 (measurements were updated, spelling mistakes were corrected and formatting errors were fixed).
See attached pdf document for full finding aid and box/file list.
There are pre-1976 records that are not part of this arrangement which reside in various areas of the archives, such as the parallel accession files, the map cabinet, and the MOA general photographs filing cabinet. These records include museum history photos, slides and negatives, donations reports, insurance reports, acquisitions ledgers, catalogue cards, prints and transparencies.
For other related records, see Audrey Hawthorn fonds (private records) and the Director’s fonds.
An accession of textual and graphic material was made in November 2002 [accession #2002-58]. Another accrual to the fonds was accessioned on February 9, 2007 [ac# 2007-07]. An addition of two files was added in October 2013 after the files were located interspersed with a separate donation.
Previously known as part of the Audrey Hawthorn fonds or as the first curator’s records.
BCAUL control number: UBCMOA-159
Includes ca. 6.03 m of textual records, ca. 4,000 photographs and 6 glass plate
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Revised December 8, 2015